Saturday 16 May 2015

Adventures of this week

Well this week I went to Riga with my bestie, and it was my birthday yesterday! 
I would definitely recommend a visit to Riga, with its beautiful buildings, great museums, and fab restaurants. The people were absolutely wonderful, always helping us out when we needed it. Felt a bit sorry for this poor woman in the orthodox church, me trying to ask if I could buy incense, with the weirdest hand gestures, at least she saw the funny side!
We were lucky enough to be there during Riga Restaurant week, being able to have fab three course dinners for 15-20 euros!
I also let the hotel know in advance that I was gluten free. I got given rice cakes to replace the bread, which helped a lot.
Have to say on the most part ate pretty healthy out there, as salad and soup is big on the menus. I haven't eaten as well this week as I could have, but I know I will work extra hard next week. I am just grateful I did zumba at least once ;)
My birthday was yesterday, and was lovely to have a nice relaxed day, seeing all my family at some point in the day. I decided this year being my first gluten free year, I would make my own birthday cake. My poor poor friend having to deal with me asking constant questions, as I was determined to get this right. 
I used a spin off recipe from a new blog I found called hungry hinny- Recipe here. I decided to change the recipe slightly, as I am not a fan of coffee, and wanted to use up some cranberries. I also didn't have a food processor to hand, so had to improvise. All good fun!
I also make the rookie mistake of trying to whisk the icing sugar straight away. The mess I made...
I think the end result was fab if I say so myself, and was proud it was light and fluffy- something I found difficult with gluten free flour.
I have some improvements to make in the future, but right now I am happy I had a cake I could eat and everyone else enjoy as well!
I am sure I will get better at it in the future, mainly so I don't have to bug people with inane questions. Obviously I won't be doing much practicing, as I'm trying to be good. At least I know I have this cake in the repertoire, which will definitely come out in the future.
Would love to hear about more gluten free recipes, and try some out if you have any :D

No comments:

Post a Comment